Data used in this calculator

We are very grateful for previous work by the Climate Equity Reference Calculator and rely heavily on their data calculations and preparation provided publicly. To allow comparability, we use their data for emissions, GDP, and population and collect the fuel price data ourselves. We use the following sources:

  • GDP and fuel price are taken from the World Banks Development Indicators.
  • Emission data is based on a variety of sources: UNFCCC, Carbon Dioxide Information and Analysis Center, Energy Information Administration or the International Energy Agency. We do not consider emissions from land use and reforestation nor other non CO2 Greehouse gases. We also use their projections of emissions based on McKinsey Climate Desk 2.1 shown in the graphs.
  • Population data is taken from the medium fertility scenario of the United Nations World Population Prospects: The 2010 Revision.
  • Paris targets: Conditional and unconditional targets are based on the Climate Action Tracker, the Carbon Brief and the communications from the different countries. Since we focus on fossil fuel based carbon emissions, all pledges exclude LULUCF. For countries that explicitly included LULUCF, we assume that pledges excluding LULUCF would be the same. The pledges shown in the plots correspond to the following targets:

    Country Unconditional
    Target 1
    Unconditional
    Target 2
    Conditional
    Target
    AfghanistanReduce total emissions by 13.6% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    AlbaniaReduce total emissions by 11.5% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    AlgeriaReduce total emissions by 7% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 22% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    ArgentinaReduce total emissions by 15% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 30% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    AustraliaReduce total emissions by 26 to 28% compared to 2005 by 2030
    AustriaEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    AzerbaijanReduce total emissions by 35% compared to 1990 by 2030
    Bahamas, TheDefines a number of actions that should reduce total emissions by 30% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    BangladeshReduce GHG emissions by 5% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce GHG emissions by an additional 15% (20% total) compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    BarbadosReduce total emissions by 44% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    BelarusReduce GHG emissions by 28% compared to 1990 by 2030
    BelgiumEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    Bosnia and HerzegovinaReduce total emissions by 3% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 23% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030. This target is equivalent to a 3% reduction by 2030 compared to 1990
    BotswanaReduce total emissions by 15% compared to 2010 by 2030
    BrazilReduce total emissions by 37% compared to 2005 by 2025Reduce total emissions by 43% compared to 2005 by 2030
    BulgariaEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    Burkina FasoReduce total emissions by 6.6% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by an additional 11.6% (18.2% total) compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    BurundiReduce total emissions by 3% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 20% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    CambodiaReduce total emissions by 27% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    CanadaReduce GHG emissions by 30% compared to 2005 by 2030 (inc. LULUCF)
    Central African RepublicReduce total emissions by 5% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    ChadReduce total emissions by 18.2% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 71% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    ChileReduce emissions intensity by 30% compared to 2007 by 2030Reduce emissions intensity by 35-45% compared to 2007 by 2030
    ChinaReduce emissions intensity by 60-65% compared to 2005 by 2030
    ColombiaReduce GHG emissions by 20% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce GHG emissions by an additional 10% (30% total) compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    ComorosReduce total emissions by 84% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    Congo, Democratic Republic of theReduce total emissions by 17% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    Congo, Republic of theReduce total emissions by 48% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2025
    Cook IslandsDefines a number of actions that should reduce total emissions by 81% compared to 2006 by 2030
    Costa RicaReduce total emissions by 44% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030. This target is equivalent to a 25% reduction by 2030 compared to 2012
    Cote d'IvoireReduce total emissions by 28% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by an additional 8% (36% total) compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    CroatiaEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    CyprusEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    Czech RepublicEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    DenmarkEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    DjiboutiReduce total emissions by 40% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by an additional 20% (60% total) compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    DominicaReduce total emissions by 18, 39 and 45% compared to 2014 by 2020, 2025 and 2030, respectively
    Dominican RepublicReduce total emissions by 25% compared to 2010 by 2030
    EcuadorReduce energy-related emissions by 20.4-25% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2025Reduce energy-related emissions by 37.5-45.8% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2025
    Equatorial GuineaReduce GHG emissions by 20% compared to 2010 by 2030
    EritreaReduce total emissions by 39.2% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 80.6% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    EstoniaEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    EthiopiaReduce total emissions by 64% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030. This target is equivalent to a 3% reduction by 2030 compared to 2010
    FijiReduce total emissions by 10% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by an additional 20% (30% total) compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    FinlandEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    FranceEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    GabonReduce GHG emissions by 50% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2025. This target is equivalent to a level of emissions in 2025 as they were in 2000
    Gambia, TheReduce total emissions by 44% and 45% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2025 and 2030, respectively
    GeorgiaReduce GHG emissions by 15% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce GHG emissions by 25% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    GermanyEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    GhanaReduce total emissions by 15% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by an additional 30% (45% total) compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    GreeceEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    GrenadaReduce total emissions by 30% and 40% compared to 2010 by 2025 and 2040, respectively
    GuatemalaReduce total emissions by 11.2% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 22.6% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    GuineaReduce total emissions by 13% compared to 1994 by 2030
    HaitiReduce total emissions by 5% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 26% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    HondurasReduce total emissions by 15% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    HungaryEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    IcelandEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    IndiaReduce the emissions intensity of GDP by 33-35% compared to 2005 by 2030
    IndonesiaReduce total emissions by 29% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 41% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    IranReduce total emissions by 4% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 12% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    IrelandEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    IsraelReduce emissions per capita by 26% compared to 2005 by 2030
    ItalyEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    JamaicaReduce total emissions by 7.8% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 10% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    JapanReduce total emissions by 26% compared to 2013 by 2030
    JordanReduce total emissions by 1.5% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 14% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    KazakhstanReduce total emissions by 15% compared to 1990 by 2030Reduce total emissions by 25% compared to 1990 by 2030
    KenyaReduce total emissions by 30% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    KiribatiReduce total emissions by 13.7% and 12.8% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2025 and 2030, respectively
    Korea, Rep.Reduce total emissions by 37% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    KyrgyzstanReduce total emissions by 11.5-13.75% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 29-30.9% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    LatviaEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    LebanonReduce total emissions by 15% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 30% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    LesothoReduce total emissions by 10% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 35% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    LiberiaReduce total emissions by 15% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    LiechtensteinReduce total emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    LithuaniaEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    LuxembourgEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    MacedoniaReduce energy-related emissions by 30% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce energy-related emissions by 36% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    MadagascarReduce total emissions by 14% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    MalaysiaReduce emissions intensity of GDP by 35% compared to 2005 by 2030Reduce emissions intensity of GDP by 45% compared to 2005 by 2030
    MaldivesReduce energy-related emissions by 10% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce energy-related emissions by 24% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    MaliReduce emissions by 29% for agriculture, 31% for energy and 21% for LULUCF (average 27%) compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    MaltaEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    Marshall IslandsReduce total emissions by 25% and 32% compared to 2010 by 2025 and 2030, respecively
    MauritaniaReduce total emissions by 2.7% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 19.6% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    MauritiusReduce total emissions by 30% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    MexicoReduce GHG emissions by 25% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    MicronesiaReduce total emissions by 28% compared to 2000 by 2025Reduce total emissions by 35% compared to 2000 by 2025
    MoldovaReduce total emissions by 64-67% compared to 1990 by 2030Reduce total emissions by 78% compared to 1990 by 2030
    MonacoReduce total emissions by 50% compared to 1990 by 2030
    MoroccoReduce total emissions by 13% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 32% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    NamibiaReduce total emissions by 8.9% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 89% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    NetherlandsEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    New ZealandReduce total emissions by 30% compared to 2005 by 2030. This target is equivalent to an 11% reduction by 2030 compared to 1990
    NigerReduce total emissions by 3.5% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 34.6% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    NorwayReduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    OmanReduce total emissions by 2% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    PalauReduce energy-related emissions by 22% compared to 2005 by 2025
    ParaguayReduce total emissions by 10% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 20% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    PeruReduce total emissions by 20% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 30% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    PhilippinesReduce total emissions by 70% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    PolandEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    PortugalEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    RomaniaEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    RussiaReduce total emissions by 25-30% compared to 1990 by 2030
    Saint LuciaReduce total emissions by 23% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    Saint VincentReduce total emissions by 22% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2025
    San MarinoReduce total emissions by 20% compared to 2005 by 2030
    SenegalReduce total emissions by 3%, 5% and 5% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2020, 2025 and 2030, respectivelyReduce total emissions by 7%, 15% and 21% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2020, 2025 and 2030, respectively
    SerbiaReduce total emissions by 9.8% compared to 1990 by 2030
    SeychellesReduce total emissions by 29% compared to 2010 by 2030
    SingaporeReduce emissions intensity by 36% compared to 2005 by 2030
    SlovakiaEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    SloveniaEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030Reduce total emissions to 116% of 1990 by 2020
    Solomon IslandsReduce total emissions by 12% and 30% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2025 and 2030, respectivelyReduce total emissions by 27% and 45% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2025 and 2030, respectively
    South AfricaReduce to 398-614 MtCO2e by 2025-2030
    SpainEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    Sri LankaReduce total emissions by 7% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 23% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    SwedenEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    SwitzerlandReduce GHG emissions by 50% compared to 1990 by 2030 (, partly using carbon credits from international mechanisms)
    TaiwanReduce total emissions by 50% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    TajikistanReduce total emissions by 10-20% compared to 1990 by 2030Reduce total emissions by 25-35% compared to 1990 by 2030
    TanzaniaReduce total emissions by 10-20% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    ThailandReduce total emissions by 20% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 25% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    TogoReduce total emissions by 11.14% compared to 2010 by 2030Reduce total emissions by 31.14% compared to 2010 by 2030
    Trinidad and TobagoReduce GHG emissions by 30% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce GHG emissions by 45% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    TunisiaReduce total emissions by 13% compared to 2010 by 2030Reduce total emissions by 46% compared to 2010 by 2030
    TurkeyReduce total emissions by 21% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    UgandaReduce total emissions by 22% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    UkraineReduce total emissions by 60% compared to 1990 by 2030
    United KingdomEU target: Reduce GHG emissions by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    United StatesReduce total emissions by 26-28% compared to 2005 by 2025
    UruguayReduce emissions intensity by 25% compared to 1990 by 2030Reduce emissions intensity by 40% compared to 1990 by 2030
    VenezuelaReduce total emissions by 20% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    VietnamReduce total emissions by 8% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 25% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    YemenReduce total emissions by 1% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 14% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    ZambiaReduce total emissions by 25% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030Reduce total emissions by 47% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
    ZimbabweReduce total per capita emissions by 33% compared to business-as-usual scenario (BAU) by 2030
Back to Top