Welcome to Climate Calculator
The aim of the calculator is to contribute to the process of finding an equitable solution for an international climate agreement. The present tool calculates fair and equitable contributions of the different countries to international climate policy. Policy targets are expressed in carbon budgets, which are available up to 2050.
Users of the tool can choose certain parameters and check the impact of their choices on international climate policy. Specifically, you can select according to your own evaluation:
- the stringency of global climate policy (strict, medium, soft),
- the number of countries you want to include in a binding agreement,
- the importance of four major equity principles,
- the degree of historic responsibility.
The calculator provides carbon budget allocations for three different approaches:
- budget based on equity principles
- budget based on global carbon tax
- budget based on equal per capita emissions.
The Equity Climate Calculator has been developed by the Chair of Economics/Resource Economics of ETH Zurich. Financial support by the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs is gratefully acknowledged